Thursday, July 7, 2011

Product Review: What's In My Purse (And the Essentials that Everyone Should Carry)

Hi everyone! I'm so excited to be a new contributor to the KD blog! Kim has asked me to share some of the posts from my personal beauty blog with you, so once or twice a week you'll get to hear from me!

For my first post, i decided to let you see into the makeup bag in my purse and explain why these things are so great to have with you in your travels. Enjoy!


These are the things in my makeup bag, all dumped out. I'm going through them one-by-one so I can explain why they're so great to have for on-the-go beauty.


Smith's Rosebud Salve: This product is probably my favorite thing that I keep in my purse. It's pretty cheap, and it can be used for tons of different things! My favorite way to use it is as a lip balm, but it can also be used to moisturize dry skin, soften cuticles, and can be used the same way as Vaseline and become an eye makeup remover. For those of you who love a little DIY, mix some of this product with a little powder blush to create an easily blendable cream blush or lipcolor!


Neutrogena Healthy Skin Custon Glow Blush & Bronzer: This is a great compact to have in your purse. It's a 2-in-1 blush and bronzer. The colors are designed to complement a variety of different skin tones, and the colors in the palette complement each other so they can be combined to create an array of color options. Bonus: You can use the bronzer (or even the blush) in a pinch as eyeshadow!


Neutrogena Healthy Volume Mascara: A perennial favorite of mine, I come back to this product time and time again. It's a great mascara that gives great volume and definition to lashes, with minimal clumping (just be sure you don't "pump" the brush, to avoid drying out the mascara). I got this particular one in a combo pack with one of Neutrogena's Lip Soothers (which I also love). It's a mini version, so it fits perfectly in your purse! I'm pretty sure they still sell these combo packs at Target, but they may be out of stock by now.


e.l.f. Eyeliner & Shadow Stick: This is also one of my all-time favorite products in my purse. I let a few of my friends borrow it once when we all needed to touch up before a lacrosse game, and they fell in love with it! It sure made a great (and cheap!) gift at graduation, and I knew it would always remind them of me. This is a great cream-stick shadow and liner combo that's great for highlighting. The eyeshadow is a light beige shimmer, that when spread over eyelids really makes the eyes sparkle. The white eyeliner on the other end is great for the inner corners of the eyes. Use it there to brighten the whites of your eyes, making you look more awake, as though your eyes are sparkling.


N.Y.C. Smooth Skin Pressed Face Powder: This powder is a really affordable thing that you can throw in your bag to have in case of shine-emergencies. Because really, who likes greasy-feeling (or even sweaty!) skin? I sure don't, so I keep this around just in case. It comes in three shades, but Translucent is the one I use because it works for any skin tone.

Smashbox Limitless Eyeliner: I really like this product because it's long-wearing, waterproof, smudgeproof, and well-pigmented. It has really rich color, and glides on easily, making perfect application a snap! I have a mini version that I received as a sample from Sephora, which makes it really portable. However, if the full-size version seems inconvenient for a purse (it's the size of a regular pencil), go for Sephora's Nano Liner, which comes in a plethora of colors and always come in a mini size (apparently the individual liners aren't in stock right now, but keep an eye out, because they're usually part of the permanent collection).


L'Oreal Paris HIP Studio Secrets Color Presso: This 2-in-1 lip gloss gives you two shades that you can squeeze out one at a time or together to combine the shimmery shades. It comes with a light shade and a dark shade, so you can choose to wear them individually for day/night or combine them for a pretty new shade. The versatility of this product is the main reason I keep it in my purse, but I also love the creamy formula of the gloss.


Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm: This is great on the go because it provides a sheer wash of color and moisturizes lips to perfection. It's not overwhelming like lipstick can be and putting it on is as easy as putting on Chapstick!


Wet n' Wild Cover All Coverstick: My final product is the Wet n' Wild concealer. it looks totally beat up because... well, it is! I use this product ALL the time, and I'm just about ready to buy more (it's rolled up all the way in the photo). This is my go-to product to cover up blemishes. It provides full-coverage, but is totally blendable. I use it with a mini concealer brush to get precise application.

Bonus: mark. Go With the Pro Mini Brush Kit: This set of miniature makeup brushes is so tiny, to fit in your purse, and has all the brushes you need for on-the-go makeup! It includes an eyeshadow, eyeliner, blush/powder, lip and concealer brush, making application as easy as possible and keeping your fingers clean.

The Things That Every Girl Should Have in Her Purse:
1. The above products, in a cute and chic makeup bag (I found this one at Target - so cute!).
2. A travel-size hand lotion (can be used on other body parts as well!).
3. Hand sanitizer - they sell tons of different scents at Bath & Body Works.
4. Band Aids - you never know when you're going to need one!
5. Wallet containing ID, money, credit card, etc. (duh).
6. Cell phone - make sure you have emergency contacts programmed into your phone and on speed dial in case you need help.
7. Chewing gum or mints - you never know when you're going to need it.
8. Miniature hair brush - you have NO IDEA how many people have borrowed this from me, and how many times I myself have used it. YOU NEED THIS. They have cute pop-up ones, like this one.
9. Collapsible, reusable shopping bag - this website has tons of bags that fold up into a little pouch, perfect for your purse!
10. A mini day planner and a pen - gotta stay organized! (the best place to find these is at Target or an office supply store, like Staples of Office Max).

I hope you've enjoyed this post! Keep checking in, as I will be posting every Wednesday. Hope you are all enjoying your summer!