Monday, November 19, 2012

“An overview of the print shows”

 
Hi Kim,
 
I have walked the Surtex show, which anyone in the industry can do for a fee. The price has gone up in recent years and I think it was around $150 last year! It is an interesting show in that part of of the exhibitors are selling prints and the other half are trying to get licensing deals. Also, the Stationery show runs right next to it, and you can walk both shows.
 I've never actually exhibited at any print show as it is such a big investment.
I do know that 2 other shows that are more for just selling prints are Printsource and Indigo. They happen more than once a year, I think. I don't know if the prices for exhibitors are comparable, but I do know that the apparel design teams that I've worked with both full-time and freelance, do shop those shows. I'm pretty sure anyone in the industry can also register and attend those shows as well. I don't think you necessarily have to be a buyer, but I'm not completely sure.
 
I really only became aware of Surtex when I started trying to sell original designs (in addition to freelance) and learned about licensing, even though it has been around a long time as well. 
 
 
Off to pack for the week! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Elizabeth
                                                         Thank you Elizabeth H. for the write-up! - kim