Friday, September 9, 2011

Wow, we have received a lot of rain here on the East Coast

Marlene (KD contributing designer) wrote me the email below yesterday.  Marlene also enclosed a video of the rain soaked area in which she lives.  The links are embedded below if you wish to take a peek...


Hello Kim,

I just wanted to touch base and let you know that I finally got power restored yesterday after tropical storm Irene. I was fortunate that all of the trees we lost fell away from our house, but 8 1/2 days with no power was something else! Our power company told us that about 85% of the town had lost electricity following the storm and they only had 5 crews able to work. It turns out that many of their line men were calling out "sick" to protest recent layoffs. If you are curious here is a link to a slideshow put together by a neighboring towns newspaper showing some of the damage.


I had to drive through quite a few car sized holes that were cut out of downed trees to check on my parents during the week. Oh well, everyday is a new adventure, and I can't wait to get back to designing & showering & cooking...

I know Vermont was hit especially hard since Irene caught them completely off guard, my uncle lives up there and he was posting pictures of entire roads and bridges washed away. 


Have a fantastic day!
Marlene

----------
On a separate note - have a good Friday!
Kim