Monday, April 9, 2012

Spotlight on Penny C.!

How long have you been contributing to KD?

I've been contributing to KD for about 2 years.

Where do you live? (State, Country)
I live in San Diego, California.

When did you realize you had a passion for art/design?

My passion for art and design started when I was around 5 or 6 years old, I would draw everything I looked at. I remember laying on the floor and drawing a table looking up at it. I think the angles are what interested me. I've been drawing ever since.

Did you inherit your passion/artistic genetics from someone in your family?
I think the artistic gene did run in my family. My mother and all my aunts were dress designers.

What is one of your favorite design/art you have created? 




Why this piece?

This is one of my favorite paintings. It brings back great childhood memories of growing up on an island and watching the waves and sandpipers run back and forth with the tide.

Do you have a hobby outside creating/art?
I still love the beach and traveling.

Favorite food?
Italian, again, its a heritage or genetic thing.

Favorite movie and/or book?
One of my favorite movies is "The Usual Suspects". I love an ending where you go, "Wow, I did not see that coming."

A guilty pleasure?
Ghirardelli squares, dark chocolate with caramel. Dark chocolate (I read it's good for you)! They need to make the bag larger.

What would be your dream job?
I feel like I am doing my dream jobs. I love teaching at a design college and designing for all products. The only thing that would make it better would be to actually get paid for all the designs I create. So I keep dreaming that too will happen. (I also read, do what you love, the money will come. I just haven't read anything about when it will come).

If we showed up at your house unexpectandly on a Friday evening, what is something we would find you doing?
After a busy week and usually working weekends, I try not to do any work on Friday night. So you can find me relaxing with a book and Ghirardelli squares or watching a movie with friends and Ghirardelli squares.


An interesting or funny fact about you that you’d be willing to share…?
A funny fact about me might be my ocd about locking doors. It could be residual from growing up in New York. It drives my kids crazy and that makes me laugh.